One Lovely Blog Award
I’m very excited to let you guys know that last week, Marjorie of Kyrosmagica nominated Bookin’ It for the One Lovely Blog Award. What a great surprise, Marjorie, and I thank you so much! So pleased you thought of me. Please stop by Kyrosmagica and say hi to Marjorie, a really nice lady with a cool blog. You’ll enjoy looking around there.
The rules for this award are:
1. Thank the person nominating you and link back to them in your post (See above! 🙂 )
2. Share seven things about yourself
3. Nominate fifteen or so bloggers you admire
4. Contact your chosen bloggers to let them know
Here are Seven Things About Me which you probably never knew. I’m sure you could get along fine without knowing them now, but I thought it would be fun to share them with you, anyway. 🙂
1. I’m tall. Nearly 5’11”. That’s close enough to six feet to look most men directly in the eyes, and to look down on a few of them, too. (Not that I’d ever REALLY look down on them, of course. At least not most of them.) But being that tall back in the day was an interesting way to grow up. I was in high school before I had to relinquish my status as the tallest person in the class…including the teacher. (I mean I was 5’5″ in 3rd grade!)
2. I have a head full of useless trivia, and I love learning just for the sake of learning. I like Latin names for plants and animals (though I don’t know vast numbers of them…yet), and I like knowing word origins. I like reading dictionaries. (If you’ve read this blog for any length of time, you know I’m a wordy, wordy person.)
3. I’m a Florida native. (There’s me, and some guy up in the panhandle.) This makes it difficult for some to understand how much I hate the heat. Hate. It. I far prefer the cold, and yes, I’ve lived in it before. In Pennsylvania, Indiana, and even Alaska, though that’s TOO cold, even for me. (I have a theory people keep longer in cold climates…sort of like storing prime beef in the fridge.) My actual dream home would be situated on a remote mountaintop in the Blue Ridge Mountains, somewhere near Asheville or Chimney Rock, North Carolina. (If it weren’t for my hubby who wants to stay here, I’d already be there, but he’s winning this battle. So far.)
4. I’m obsessively fascinated with nature, particularly reptiles (though this secret is out of the bag for any of you familiar with my latest book, Swamp Ghosts). I pretty much love all animals except sharks and hairy-legged spiders. I don’t like too many teeth…or too many legs…coming at me all at once. Snakes, yes. See, NO legs. 😀 Tarantulas, NO. Not on a bet. (Perhaps I was a fly in a former life.) And I believe cats are the ultimate animals, and know the answers to questions we humans aren’t even smart enough to ask.
5. I love beachcombing, but mostly in the winter. (That heat thing, again, plus I don’t do SUN.). I’m very fond of sea glass, shells, and small creatures that live in the seaweed and tide pools. My favorite colors remind me of the beach in winter. Pale teals, blues, greens, aquas, and sandy off-whites.
6. I love vintage things. Old dishes, Fiestaware, cobalt blue bottles, chippy painted furniture, vintage signs, Coca-Cola ads, and sepia photos. I’m also a Christmas fanatic, and collect Santas (over 300 of them, currently), mercury glass ornaments and candle holders. I have a large Wizard of Oz collection, too. You can see how in touch with reality I am, when you consider my two favorite men in the world are Santa Claus and The Wizard of Oz. Throw Harry Dresden in the mix, and you’ve pretty much got my ideal man.
7. I’ve been a painter nearly all my life, and taught tole and decorative painting for years. If something sits still around me long enough, I’ll paint hydrangeas on it. My most recent ventures included commissioned pet portraits done digitally with a Wacom table and an electronic pen. (Not to be confused with photo manipulation, though that’s fun, too. These are done one line at a time, exactly like wet art). Had to give it up, though, because it was painstaking work that caused me some repetitive stress injuries. So, I finally went back to my original love of writing. When one door closes…….
Here are fifteen blogs you really should check out, for wildly varying reasons. Some are informative and educational, some are beautiful to look at, some are hilariously funny, and ALL are worth a visit. So, instead of my usual Sunday Blog of the Week, I present to you my nominations for the One Lovely Blog Award. Enjoy!
1. 23 Thorns
Thanks again, Marjorie, for including me in your list of very interesting blogs. I’ll be proud to display this award on Bookin’ It!